You can download the Postdoctoral Teaching Qualification Regulations on the German website. An English translation will follow.
The postdoctoral teaching qualification is a way to provide the necessary evidence for the appointment of professors with respect to an excellent academic performance and a pedagogical (didactical) qualification (teaching qualification). It allows candidates to teach independently in a certain field of expertise at the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz (venia legendi). The postdoctoral teaching qualification is only possible in fields of sufficient scientific breadth and importance within the Faculty of Biology at the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz decided upon by the Joint Committee for Questions Concerning the Postdoctoral Teaching Qualification Regulations.
Habilitation Procedure (according to the Habilitation Regulations of the Department of Biology, February 13, 2009)
1 - 2 years before opening the habilitation procedure: written application to the dean for obtaining a post-doctoral lecturer qualification including two potential mentors.
Your habilitation application to receive a post-doctoral lecturer qualification must contain the following documents:
1. Designation of the subject
2. Curriculum vitae
3. PhD certification and a copy of your PhD thesis
4. Diplomas of your studies
5. Habilitation thesis (6 copies)
6. Declaration of independent academic work
7. List of publications and, if possible, a print-out of each one
8. List of courses taught including details of type and extent (undergraduate teaching)
9. 3 proposed topics for presentation and inaugural lecture
10. Statement (if applicable) about any previously applied for or initiated habilitation procedures
Handing in the habilitation application and all required documents initiates the habilitation procedure:
- The habilitation thesis is on public display for the faculty council and all professors for 2 weeks (6 weeks during the semester break).
- The habilitation commission decides upon the candidate’s specialist and didactic expertise and appoints the assessors.
- The deanery obtains reports by one internal and two external assessors. After receiving the reports, the thesis is on public display for the faculty for two weeks (6 weeks during the semester break).
- The habilitation commission decides upon accepting the written examination, the venia legendi, and upon the topics for presentation and inaugural lecture. The thesis is on display for another week (two weeks during the semester break) for the members of the faculty council.
- The deanery schedules presentation and inaugural lecture and sends out invitations.
- The faculty council evaluates the candidate’s oral performance and grants the permission to teach.
- The public inaugural lecture is scheduled during the lecture period.
- After the inaugural lecture, the candidate receives the certificate terminating the procedure.