In the FTN the following collaborative research networks, funded by the German Science Foundation (DFG), have been established: They all work on the scientific goal of the FTN: To understand the development and maintenance of structural and functional homeostasis in the nervous system at the molecular, cellular and clinical level. Further initiatives are currently actively being pursued.
- Collaborative Research Centre 1080: "Molecular and Cellular Mechanisms of Neural Homeostasis"
- Collaborative Research Centre 1193: "Neurobiology of resilience to stress-related mental dysfunction: from understanding mechanisms to promoting preventions"
- Transregional Collaborative Research Center 128: "Effector versus Regulatory Mechanisms in Multiple Sclerosis"
- Research Unit 926 "Physiology and Pathophysiology of the Endocannabinoid System"
- Research Unit 1341: "Barrel Cortex Function"
Research in the FTN is also supported by the following European Research Council (ERC) programs: