Nowadays the keywords 'international', 'intercultural' and 'globalisation' are a part of our everyday life. From future employees it will expected that they not only have specialist knowledge but also think about the borders of Germany and Europe away.
Objectives & possibilities
The participants of 'Japan-Studies' will be exposed to Japanese culture and Japanese language. They attain examination about country and people and acquire basic linguistic proficiency. In Japanese language courses it is informed with a beginning communicatively oriented to action. The job prospects with Japanese knowledge and Japan knowledge have turned out with the present graduates and graduates absolutely promising. We have contacts with Japanese companies in the Rhine Main area as well as an exchange programme with two Japanese partner universities in Japan (Tōkyō & Kyōto).
Demands and construction
The successful participation in the Japan studies is confirmed by a certificate.
|Japanese I||language course||WiSe||exam (90 min)||4||7 LP|
|Japanese II||language course||SuSe||exam (90 min)||4||7 LP|
|Japanese III||language course||WiSe or SuSe||exam (90 min)||2||4 LP|
|Applied Geography of Japan I||pro seminar||WiSe||exam (90 min)||2||3 LP|
|Applied Geography of Japan II||seminar||SuSe||Referat||2||3 LP|
|Additional||termpaper to Applied Geography of Japan I or II||3 LP|
|Structures of East Asian languages||WiSe||exam to thist course (90 min)||2||3 LP|
|Japanese Language Proficiency Test Stufe 4-3||language course, preparing for test JPLT||SuSe oder WiSe||exam (90 min)||2|
In other institutions acquired linguistic proficiency can be recognised in particular cases.
- 1 Book: Genki I (Lection 1-8) – approximate CEFR A1
- 2 Book: Genki I & II (Lection 9-16) – approximate CEFR A2, JLPT max. degree 4
- 3 Book: Genki II (Lection 17-23) – approximate CEFR B1, JLPT degree 4-3
- 4 Course 'Applied geography of Japan II' can visit before 'Applied geography of Japan I'.
ATTENTION: For Linguistics students only the first option is possible. "Structures of East Asian Languages" cannot count twice (it applies only to BA linguistics and not to Japan Studies Certificate). BA linguistics students must write a term paper in Applied Geography of Japan I or II.
Even if many participants of our events work straight towards the additional certificate, nevertheless, it is possibly to visit single offers without aiming the certificate. By later decision for this certificate all visited courses are considered.
You find the topical courses and course appointments per semester in Jogustine. About Jogustine a registration must also occur. Choose the desired semester and follow the following path:
Übersicht > Fachbereich 05 – Philosophie und Philologie > BA Linguistik/Allgemeine und Vergleichende Sprachwissenschaft (Magister) > Sprachkurse (für Hörer aller Fachbereiche) > Projekt Japan-Studien and then announce themselves about "listener's registration".
The following courses of Japan studies are part of the BA linguistics: Japanese I & II as an option in module 2 or 3
Hence, to the acquisition of the additional certificate Japan studies still all other courses listed on top and achievements are to be produced, in addition.
- ATTENTION: Linguistics students only have the first option. "Structures of East Asian Languages" cannot counted twice (it applies only to BA linguistics and not to Japan Studies Certificate). BA linguistics students must write a term paper in Applied Geography of Japan I or II.
Japan studies are open for listeners of all faculties, i.e. for all students who are enrolled into the Johannes Gutenberg-University of Mainz.
In case of capacity problems in single courses which also belong to the BA linguistics programme students of BA linguistics have priority.
Instead of the course 'Structures of East Asian Languages' (restricted admission capacity for not BA Linguistics students), there are following alternatives (3 LPs too): Courses of other institutes on the subject "Japan" the second paper to the courses study of the "Applied Geography of Japan I" or study of "Applied Geography of Japan II".
- All prospective customers of the Japan studies who are not matriculate at the Johannes Gutenberg-University of Mainz have to sign up the possibility as an auditor to be able to take part in the courses.
- You find out information about the registration as an auditor about the student's secretariat
- KOPRA – Koordinationsstelle fuer Praktika in Japan (Detaillierte Infos zu Praktika in Japan inkl. aktueller Liste zu Praktika und offenen Stellen
- Council on International Educational Exchange (Infos zu Austauschprogrammen)
- Japanologie Uni Hamburg
- Japanologie Uni Frankfurt
- Japanische Botschaft in der Schweiz
- Universities & Colleges in Japan (alphabetisch/umfangreich)
- Seite der OAG (Deutsche Gesellschaft für Natur- und Völkerkunde Ostasiens, z.B. Kirche, IHK, Lektoren etc.)
- Japan Links (Tageszeitungen)
- GUIDE TO JAPAN (Japan-Führer:Lexikon mit Links und Suchmöglichkeit)
- Asien auf einen Blick
- Nihon Universität
- Kyoto Universität
- Studieren in Japan
- Japanische Brieffreunde
- Japanisch-Deutsches Zentrum
- Japanisch Botschaft in Deutschland
- Japanisches Generalkonsulat in Frankfurt/Main