The P2 collaboration aims for a high precision measurement of the parity violating asymmetry in the elastic scattering of polarized electrons off unpolarized nuclei. The expected data will be interpreted as a determination of the weak mixing angle, one of the fundamental parameters of the Standard Model, with a precision competitive with measurements at LEP or LHC.
News and events
INT Workshop INT-19-73W "Weak Elastic Scattering with Nuclei", March 4-8, 2019, Institute of Nuclear Theory, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
"The Physics Case of the Weak Charge of Carbon-12", March 18 - April 5, 2019, Instituto de Física, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
Eur. Phys. J. A (2018) 54: 208
also available on the arXiv
The article describes the research and development work for the future P2 experimental facility at the upcoming MESA accelerator in Mainz and covers on 63 pages theoretical and experimental aspects around the P2 experiment.
The workshop was held at the Mainz Institute for Theoretical Physics, Germany.
- Weak charge measurements with PVES at MESA.
- Parity violation in atomic systems with the goal to determine weak nuclear charges and anapole moments in isotope chains.
- The neutron distribution in heavy nuclei and the physics of neutron skins.
- Ultra-cold neutron beta-decay with the TRIGA facility at Mainz and super-allowed nuclear beta decay and the extraction of the CKM-matrix element Vud.
The workshop was held at the European Centre for Theoretical Studies in Nuclear Physics and Related Areas in Trento, Italy
Aims of the workshop:
- Prepare the next SFB application
- Bring all involved people together
- Form a collaboration
- Discuss all aspects of the P2 Experiment
- Parity violating electron scattering
- Standard Model tests
- Two boson radiative corrections