Dr. rer. nat.
Institute of Geography
Consultation hours: Upon agreement only
Since 07/2021: Research Associate, Department of Geography, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany.
06/2019 - 06/2021: Postdoctoral scholar, Department of Civil, Environmental and Geodetic Engineering, The Ohio State University, Columbus, United States.
07/2014 - 05/2019: Ph.D. student, Department of Geosciences, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, United States.
08/2011 - 05/2014: Master's student, Department of Geography, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, United States.
09/2008 - 06/2011: B.Sc. student, School of Geography, Archaeology, and Palaeoecology, Queen's University Belfast, Northern Ireland.
- Torbenson, M.C.A., D.W. Stahle, I.M. Howard, D.J. Burnette, D. Griffin, J. Villanueva-Díaz, and B.I. Cook (2021) Drought relief and reversal over North America from 1500 to 2016. Earth Interactions 25.
- Howard, I.M, D.W. Stahle, M.C.A. Torbenson, and D. Griffin (2021) The summer precipitation response of latewood ring chronologies in the southwestern United States. International Journal of Climatology 41.
- Torbenson, M.C.A., and J.H. Stagge (2021) Informing seasonal proxy-based flow reconstructions using baseflow separation: An example from the Potomac River, United States. Water Resources Research 57.
- Stahle, D.W., M.C.A. Torbenson, I. Howard, D. Granato-Souza, A.C. Barbosa, S. Feng, J. Schöngart, L. Lopez, R. Villalba, and J. Villanueva (2020) Pan American interactions of Amazon precipitation, streamflow, and tree growth extremes. Environmental Research Letters 15.
- Granato-Souza, D., D.W. Stahle, M.C.A. Torbenson, I.M. Howard, A.C. Barbosa, S. Feng, K. Fernandes, and J. Schöngart (2020) Multi-decadal changes in wet season precipitation totals over the eastern Amazon. Geophysical Research Letters 47.
- Stahle, D.W., E.R. Cook, D.J. Burnette, M.C.A. Torbenson, I.M. Howard, D. Griffin, J. Villanueva-Díaz, B.I. Cook, P.A. Williams, E. Watson, D.J. Sauchyn, N. Pederson, C.A. Woodhouse, G.T. Pederson, D. Meko, B. Coulthard, and C.J. Crawford (2020) Dynamics, variability, and change in seasonal precipitation reconstructions for North America. Journal of Climate 33.
- Torbenson, M.C.A., D.W. Stahle, I.M. Howard, D.J. Burnette, J. Villanueva-Díaz, E.R. Cook, and D. Griffin (2019) Multidecadal modulation of the ENSO teleconnection to precipitation and tree growth over subtropical North America. Paleoceanography and Paleoclimatology 34.
- Barbosa, A.C., D.W. Stahle, D.J. Burnette, M.C.A. Torbenson, E.R. Cook, M.J. Bunkers, G. Garfin, and R. Villalba (2019) Landscape and meteorological factors associated with frost rings in bristlecone pine at Mt. Goliath, Colorado. Tree-Ring Research 75.
- Stahle, D.W., J.R. Edmondson, I.M. Howard, C.R. Robbins, D. Griffin, A. Carl, C. Hall, D.K. Stahle, and M.C.A. Torbenson (2019) Longevity, climate sensitivity, and conservation status of wetland trees at Black River, North Carolina. Environmental Research Communications 1.
- Granato-Souza, D., D.W. Stahle, A.C. Barbosa, S. Feng, M.C.A. Torbenson, G. de Assis Pereira, J. Schöngert, J.P. Barbosa, and D. Griffin (2019) Tree rings and climate in the equatorial Amazon. Climate Dynamics 52.
- Torbenson, M.C.A., and D.W. Stahle (2018) The relationship between cool and warm season moisture over the central United States, 1685-2015. Journal of Climate 31.
- de Assis Pereira, G., A.C. Barbosa, M.C.A. Torbenson, D.W. Stahle, D. Granato-Souza, R.M. dos Santos, and J.P. Delfino Barbosa (2018) The climate response of Cedrela fissilis annual ring width in the Rio Sao Francisco basin, Brazil. Tree-Ring Research 74.
- Lopez, L., D.W. Stahle, R. Villalba, M.C.A. Torbenson, S. Feng, and E.R. Cook (2017) Tree-ring reconstructed rainfall over the southern Amazon Basin. Geophysical Research Letters 44.
- Torbenson, M.C.A., D.W. Stahle, J. Villanueva-Díaz, E.R. Cook, and D. Griffin (2016) The relationship between earlywood and latewood tree-growth across North America. Tree-Ring Research 72.
- Stahle, D.W., E.R. Cook, D.J. Burnette, J. Villanueva-Díaz, J. Cerano, J.N. Burns, D. Griffin, B.I. Cook, R. Acuna, M.C.A. Torbenson, P. Sjezner, and I.M. Howard (2016) The Mexican Drought Atlas: Tree-ring reconstructions of the soil moisture balance during the late pre-Hispanic, colonial, and modern eras. Quaternary Science Reviews 149.
- Torbenson, M.C.A., G. Plunkett, D.M. Brown, J.R. Pilcher, and H-H. Leuschner (2015) Asynchrony in key Holocene chronologies: evidence from Irish bog pines. Geology 43.
- Torbenson, M.C.A. (2015) Section 4.2.8: Dendrochronology. In: Clarke, L.E. & Nield, J.M. (Eds.) Geomorphological Techniques. British Society for Geomorphology; London, England, U.K.
- St. George, S., and M.C.A. Torbenson (2014) New ages for shoreline stumps along Lake Winnipeg, Canada and their implications for paleo-lake level estimates. The Holocene 24.
- St. George, S., T.R. Ault, and M.C.A. Torbenson (2013) The rarity of absent growth rings in Northern Hemisphere forests outside the American Southwest. Geophysical Research Letters 40.