Doctoral position (wissenschaftliche/r Mitarbeiter/in, 13 TV-L 65%)
The interdisciplinary Research Training Group 1876 “Early Concepts of Humans and Nature: Universal, Specific, Interchanged” established by the German Research Foundation (Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft) at Johannes Gutenberg-University Mainz invites applications for
5 doctoral positions (wissenschaftliche/r Mitarbeiter/in, 13 TV-L 65%)
starting on October 1st, 2020. Initial appointment will be for three years
The Research Training Group is directed by scholars from the fields of Egyptology, Ancient Near Eastern Studies, Pre- and
Protohistorical Archaeology (Pleistocene Archaeology), Near Eastern Archaeology, Classical Archaeology, Classics (Greek
and Latin), Byzantine Studies and Medieval German Studies.
We are looking for dissertation projects that will connect with and complement dissertation projects within the Research Training Group as well as additional dissertation projects belonging to one of the four areas.
For detailed information regarding our research and training programme and for a list of the academic staff involved in our graduate school, please refer to the following link.
Requirements for appointment:
A diploma or master’s degree (or equivalent) with excellent results in one of the disciplines mentioned above and fulfilment of the necessary requirements for enrolment on a doctoral degree in either Faculty (Fachbereich) 05 or 07 of Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz (https://www.uni-mainz.de/studium/171_ENG_HTML.php)
- a salary based on the German public sector pay scale (TV-L)
- a PhD programme with clearly defined steps and instruction
- ample opportunities for intensive professional and interdisciplinary exchange
- close supervision by two professors of different academic disciplines of the Research Training Group’s core faculty
- a mentoring programme with cooperating partners in Germany and abroad
- traineeships within cooperating institutes
- additional funding for staying for up to four weeks abroad at a research institute cooperating with our programme as well as for attending conferences inside and outside Germany
- classes helping you to acquire key qualifications (e.g. time-management or academic writing courses)
- a modern and pleasant working environment
The following documents must be provided:
- application form (available on the website for download)
- a letter of motivation
- a curriculum vitae
- a complete transcript of academic records, including the last school report obtained before entering university (Abitur, highschool-diploma or equivalent)
- a résumé of the graduate thesis you submitted (3 pages)
- your graduate thesis in a PDF file
- an exposé for a PhD thesis in one of the areas of the Research Training Group, summarizing the idea, outlining research questions and state of the art, approach and methods to be used, work and time schedule (4 pages)
- two letters of reference from members of academic staff allowing us to judge your abilities (to be sent before the closing date directly to the spokesperson)
- if available: a list of attended conferences and publications
Please submit your complete application in electronic form (pdf) no later than April 30th, 2020 to the Research Training Group’s spokesperson Univ.-Prof. Dr. Tanja Pommerening (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please find further information here.
Associate positions (assoziierte/r Kollegiat/in)
Are you already working on a doctoral thesis or research project, which is related to one of the research domains of our Research Training Group? Do you want to intensify scientific exchange with colleagues from different disciplines? Do you want to benefit from our extensive research and qualification programme and use the possibility to get in touch with international cooperation partners and collaborators? Would you like to acquire key qualifications, e.g. time-management or academic writing skills? Would you like to write your doctoral thesis in an agreeable working environment?
In our Research Training Group, we can offer you the opportunity.
Applications are accepted at any time.
Further information for PhD students you may find here.
Further information for PostDocs will be available on request from the coordination office.
At the moment, there are no vacancies available.