Special aspects of the B.A. and M.A. degree programs for international students

International applicants (that is, non-native speakers of German) who wish to study at the faculty must take German as their first foreign language (B-language). They may also select a second foreign language (C-language). The basic working language for training in the C-language is German.
Prospective students must provide evidence that at the time of application for a place on the degree program they already have a very good command of German.

The following language certificates are recognised as proof of adequate proficiency in German (in order to study at the FTSK):

• Test of German as a Foreign Language for international students applying for a study place at university in Germany (TestDaF), with a score of 18 points for admission to B.A. and 20 points for admission to M.A. programs.

• The Große (major) or the Kleine (minor) German language diploma awarded by the Goethe Institute on behalf of the Ludwig Maximilian-University in Munich.

• Certificate of the Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung (ZOP) of the Goethe Institute.

• The German Language Diploma (Level II) issued by the Standing Conference of German Ministers of Culture (DSD II).

More detailed information can be found on the website of the German Department:

Decisive for admission to the B.A. or M.A. degree programs is whether an applicant’s foreign school-leaving certificate or university degree can be considered to be the equivalent of the German Abitur or a German B.A. respectively. Applicants who have completed secondary school or their B.A. abroad must therefore also apply for a statement of convalidation from the International Department of the University of Mainz. Information on to apply can be found at http://www.uni-mainz.de/studium/3972_DEU_HTML.php

This document must be attached to the application for admission. Please allow six weeks for the processing of the application. It is therefore important to initiate the process of having your credentials convalidated as early as possible.

All documents must be certified and accompanied by a certified translation of same. Credentials written in English or French, however, need not be translated.