The sub-specialty, Ancient Philosophy, engages in the instruction of philosophy by conducting classes and seminars at the undergraduate and graduate levels on the topics of ancient philosophy and its reception.
The following topics are emphasized:
- The development of Greek philosophy (transition from mythical to scientific worldview)
- Plato (practical philosophy and dialectics)
- Aristotle (practical philosophy, concept of substance)
- Hellenistic Philosophy and Philosophy of the Roman Empire (Epicurus and the Stoics)
- Modern Philosophy (Moral justification, Marx and the reception of Marxism, philosophical problems concerning friendship, Philosophy of the German Democratic Republic)